Sunday 29 May 2011

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

I don't always adore books that have won this or that prize or medal, but when they're "young adult" books it's far more likely, and all I can do is join the millions of people who seem to have loved this book...  It's a story about the life of Fergus McCann, who is studying for his "A"-levels, trying to keep out of the Provos way, to fall in love, to keep faith with his brother in Long Kesh (the Maze) and to find out why a young girl seems to have been buried in a bog, thousands of years ago... All he really wants is to run, to pass his exams, and to go away to university and become a doctor - but life is never quite that simple.

I think one of the things I loved about this book is that Fergus' life wasn't made out to be simple - it wasn't just an adventure, or just a romance, or just a coming-of-age book, because that's not the way the world works.  Fergus is an ordinary, thoughtful young lad, and all the complications come together at the same time, just as they really have a tendency to do.  It's a story about the tangle of life, and how to deal with it, and I thought it was perfectly and fully written, and I was with Fergus every step of the way...

Not only that, but it turns out that Siobhan Dowd sounds like a brilliant woman - someone who didn't deserve to die so young (at 57, of breast cancer) when she was doing such good things in the world... I'm definitely going to look up her other stories.

2 comments:

Cath said...

Here I am... able to comment on your blog again at last. Wooohoo! I'll let Pat know too, as she was asking.

This book... I've had it recced to me several times and now you too, so I'll grab it from the library at some stage.

Your e.mail addy is not visible at all. Just mine. I'm thinking it only displays the addy of whoever is commenting... or yours to you if it's your blog. (Not sure if that makes sense.)

DesLily said...

..i see you are reading Court of the Air. Cath read that and liked it and I added it to my tbr mountain, looking forward to your thoughts on it..
Also... I read Faery Tale already and it is a true book unlike fantasy and I found, in the end, I wished I could do what she did to believe in more of life than I do. It's not "a page turner" but still I liked it.