Tuesday 17 May 2011

Paradise Barn by Victor Watson

Molly and Abigail are best friends who live in the little village of Great Deeping in Norfolk, and in September 1940 their skies are filled with aircraft battling and bombing to win the war.  The war brings other things into their lives too - an evacuee boy called Adam, who should have got off the train in Kings Lynn, but decided he wanted to live in their village instead; new lodgers to Molly's mum's guesthouse; and not least of all - a dead body in the lane.  Abi sets out to solve the mystery - who was the man, and why was he killed? - with the help of Molly and Adam.

The book is mostly written from Molly's point of view, but now and then we see things as Adam or Abi, and they all have wonderfully different ways of looking at the world. Molly sees people and stories and feelings, Abi sees the world as it is around them, and Adam sees everything through its connection to art - he even sees feelings as something to be drawn, if they're important enough.  I found this a really fascinating way of being shown the world, and I was both drawn in to the children's lives, and also into all the wonderings that come with finding out that someone else has seen something differently

By the end of the book I felt that I'd had an adventure and that Molly, Abi and Adam were my friends too, and what I wanted most of all was to know how their lives went on.  I'm really pleased to find out that I'll be able to - there is a brand new sequel called The Deeping Secrets, and I didn't even try to resist temptation, but ordered it straight away - hurry up, post!

4 comments:

Cath said...

As soon as I get a moment (tonight probably) I'll check this one out as it sounds right up my street.

I see you're reading a Susan Cooper... but that's not one of her Dark is Rising series is it?

Jen said...

Hello Cath! (I need to say who I'm talking to when I reply on Blogspot, don't I? Not that there's anyone else here to reply to just now, but... maybe it's a good idea to get into the habit?

Anyway - I want to say that I think you'll like Paradise Barn, I thought it had alot of heart, as well as the mystery to be going on with... *g*

The Dark Is Rising series is possibly one of my favourites ever, and long overdue a re-read, now that I think about it, but no, King of Shadows is completely separate. It's about a boy who finds himself back in time, in 1599, and as one of Shakespeare's players. I actually finished it at lunchtime, and being all enthusiastic I thought I'd try and post about it tonight. Dinner first, and then hopefully I will!

Cath said...

Hi Jenny! Yes, with Blogger you tend to answer all comments in one long comment rather than like LJ where you do it separately. Thus, you tend to address the person you're answering.

I'm having a lazy day today after a bit of a fraught one yesterday so I'll send you a few links of blogs I like, later. Will also check out Paradise Barn. I'm wondering if my grand-daughter would like this one too. It's my life's mission - or one of 'em - to find books that she's not read. I tell you, it's not easy. Dead Man's Cove by Lauren St. John was the last one. Actually, check it out because I've a feeling it might it might be your kind of thing, although I haven't actually read it myself.

Will go and read your review of King of Shadows in a moment, and the Katie Fforde one.

Jen said...

Cath - I've just looked up Dead Man's Cove, and it does look rather good, thanks! Thanks for the advice re Blogger too - and I shall look forward to your links! I've dipped in and out of blogs on your Following list, and started to wander around book blogs in general - so much to reeeeead! *g*